Friday, January 26, 2007

Invasion of the moths . . .

Ok, maybe everyone except us already knew this, but don't keep a bag of birdseed in your coat closet! Last month when Jon went to get his winter jacket, there were little moth cocoons all over our coats and scarves. We knew we had been seeing moths in our house, but I could never find the source--I was thinking a food source, so I never looked in the closet. Jon cleaned all the coats and we bought a hanging mothball thing. Some time between then and now we discovered that the source was a bag of birdseed on the floor. So we got rid of that, hoping that was the end of it. Last night, I went to get the dog's leash from the shelf, and saw 3 live moths and found a few worms (ewww!) So we start pulling things out, and discover that our games and puzzles are infested. So we spent an hour or so outside with all of our games pulling out the worms (did I say ewww?!?) and the cocoons. I am hoping we got them all this time. I am thankful that so far there does not seem to be any destruction from them, and the infestation seems to be confined to this closet.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Ewwww! I hate moths. I hate most flappy things--they tend to fly straight into my hair and get stuck there.

Hope you've eradicated your infestation!