Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A "typical" Tuesday

Is there such a thing as a typical day? Today was going to be Asher's first day of Mother's Day Out, since we were out of town for a week and then he had a doctor's appointment, and then he was sick. MDO starts at 9 AM. I made a dentist's appointment for Ainsley at 9:30, and I needed to be there at 9:15 to fill out paperwork. No problem, because the dentist is less than 5 minutes from MDO. I had both kids strapped in the car about 8:25 this morning--it takes less than 15 to get over there, so I should have had plenty of time to get Asher settled and head to Ainsley's appointment. I turned the key, and it make a fast clicking sound. The engine didn't turn over. This happened last weekend, as well, but we attributed it to leaving the doors open and a small interior light on. Last weekend, we were at Jon's parents' house, and they just gave us a jump. Today, I was on my own. Jon couldn't head home because he had a meeting.
So, I called our insurance roadside assist. They said it would be an hour. Not really enough time to put Asher down for a nap--I still had hopes of making the dentist appointment. After an hour, we got a call it would be another 20 minutes. 20 minutes later, they said another 20 minutes. After 1/2 an hour, the man came. He was helpful and nice. It took him about 30 seconds to get the car started. It was 10:30.
Ainsley was upset about her dentist appointment. I took our valet key and went to Asher's MDO. I left the van running, and locked it with the valet key. I dropped off Asher and took Ainsley to the Sam's Club around the corner. They got us right in, checked the battery and said it was bad, and replaced it. I went back and picked Asher up (I intend to bring him home around noon instead of leaving him until 2 because it is easier for me and better for the kids' naps.) Ainsley and I ate the lunches I had packed for us, and then we headed home. Both kids are napping now.
Even though we had to wait several weeks for an opening for this dentist appointment, they found us a spot this coming Friday for Ainsley's cleaning. I will have to take Asher with me, but I think it will work out ok.
All in all, an inconvenient morning, but things really did work out fine. I am thankful for little things like "Roadside Assistance".

No comments: